Thursday, September 18, 2008

As seen on TV

I received an email yesterday promoting a revolutionary enhancer to your kitchen. But first, news. Or maybe a few random thoughts.

I have been working the past few days, which means I sit at a desk and listen to tutorials online. I have never had a desk job. I was a bank teller, but that was more of a stool. I can see, after sitting at a desk for 8 hours, why someone would invent a chair that whirls your whole body around, as seen on tv. I was trying to find the name of that invention and came across the as seen on tv website. Never go there. I will tempt you with a link though.

Did you see the story about the 31 year-old woman who made the cheer leading squad posing as her teenage daughter? At the pool party, the other squad members noticed she had stretch marks. This was a released text message from one of the girls:
"OMG, did u c the baby escape route acrss her belly?"
Okay, that last quote is not real. However, I think "baby escape route"as a euphemism for c-section scar is pretty clever.

I can't seem to find a link for that either, so check out these people cashing in our stupidity. Also, the user comment about their NYC water flavoring everything - bagels, pizza, trash liquid -to perfection is ridiculous. Reserve that type of comment for Texans.

And now a person worthy of news.
Gene Sharp's pen has always been his weapon of choice. The king of nonviolent protest for regime change (that works!) was the subject of a terrific Wall Street Journal article. One idea in his 90-page breeze through "From Dictatorship to Democracy" is to adopt a color and use it in mass protests, like when the world witnessed the Orange Revolution in Ukraine. (Russia does not want the Ukraine to join NATO, by the way.) He is despised by autocrats in Iran and Venezuela alike. I'm a fan of anyone who can put a lump in Chavez's seat cushion. Why we don't hear more about people like him, I don't know. Now that you have, consider yourself enlightened.

For the finale, a combination that would make Remy of Ratatouille proud. I give you Bacon Salt.

You know my excitement.

2 comments:

Barstool69 said...

Lare Bear,

Funny you should mention TapD. One of my good friends had an internship with them last summer. The stuff is legit-it's not pretending to be something it's not. NYC consistently has some of the best tasting water in the country. They're pretty much saying that if you're going to be buying bottled water, buy it locally and be honest about what you're getting.

If your point was to comment about the ridiculousness of bottled water in the first place, I don't disagree with you that much. I go through about one Dasani bottle a week. I just refill it multiple times a day and throw it away on Friday when I'm done with class. If you're going to be buying a lot of bottled water in NYC, then you might as well buy TapD. I think that's the message.

Larry said...

I'm glad it tastes good. And yes, I do believe bottled water is ridiculous. I would rather cup it in my hand from a running stream, cowboy-style, and take my chances on the beaver fever.