Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bump on a Blog

I know I need to change my url, the web address, because of prurient minds. Classmates of mine will remember that as one of Tom-Cat's words of the day. (Bonus point!) Drizzle on your biscuit, I admit, does indeed sound like a juvenile urban legend of a perverted game adolescent males play. This was not my intent. I tried sweetmolasses.blogspot.com, but that was taken by someone who is not getting the full use of a terrific name.

I spent last night with my bride-to-be writing thank you notes and not watching television. Trying to say "thank you for thinking of us during this special time" without sounding uniform and boring can be a challenge when you have several notes to write. (This sounds boring just rereading it.) Anyway, to continue my outwardly dull, inwardly satisfying evening, I organized my bookmarks in Firefox, adding folders and reordering websites. Then I went and found publications I would like to read so that I can feel informed, even if I am truly not. I recently bought the Popular Mechanics that had "100 Skills Every Man Should Know," because I want to be a renaissance man, jack-of-all-trades, self-sufficient modern pioneer. What I am is a hairy chested guy that enjoys releasing his manliness through open collars in the summertime, and will blog about it.

This search for education and information led me back to The Atlantic Monthly, which sucked me in in college with great writing, and to an article by Andrew Sullivan, entitled, "Why I Blog." Not only does he sum up the inner thoughts of bloggers, but he frames our online world.
What I love about the internet is the true sharing of ideas and the ability to form our own based on the arguments espoused by so many. There is no limit to what we read or who we can find to support or discredit our beliefs. And this challenges us and shapes us and leaves us in a better place than before.

So slow down, digest, and feel better for it.

3 comments:

Barstool69 said...

Lare Bear,

Weren't the lines, "Somebody told us Wall Street fell, but we were so poor that we couldn't tell" sung by Alabama, not Hank Jr.?

Larry said...

Thank you barstool69, and if you google lyric, every other blogger commenting on the crisis that day thought the same thing. So much for being original.

Barstool69 said...

Can you really even call yourself a KA thought if you don't know the words to "Song of the South"?

Applicable to relying on google/wikipedia for information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRlXZ5W8lTs