Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Honey-Do List

Self-reliant. Independent. Individual. Call me "Old-fashioned," but I like these attributes. They remind me of what Man, or Woman, is supposed to be. Life being a relationship between you and the Creator, without government interference. Why am I discussing these topics today? Because I hooked up a washer and dryer.

True, it may not seem like such a large accomplishment, but I tally it in the point-for-Chilly column. You, dear reader, may point out that I did not build the washer and dryer. I performed no mining, smelting, or assembling, on such claims I concede. I did, however, hook the duo up.

After spending multiple hours, and multiple dollars, at the laundry mat over the past several months, we lucked into a washer and dryer. Bride to be was thankful as was I. It was an older set, so a little know-how was needed to hook them up. Plus, trying to save money here, I had a buddy with a truck help move them and then I was left to set up the arrangement.

I had to change a three prong wire on the dryer to a four-prong. You might not even know what I'm talking about, thus all the more reason to be proud of my accomplishment. On the back of the dryer, there is a flap of metal closed by a screw. You unscrew the screw to find the wiring, where you have to connect the wires from the cord. Then, you have to ground the green wire with the white wire in the middle section. That's right, the middle section. The Georgia Bulldogs wires, red and black, can go on either side of the white wire. Plug it in without shocking yourself and success, a working dryer blowing Sahara winds all across you towels.

Then onto the washer, where you connect the tubes to the spigots for hot and cold. The hardest thing is remembering which spigot feeds the hot water and which spigot holds the cold, energy saving water. Check, the hardest thing is screwing in old tubes and getting sprayed in the face, not once, but twice, then emptying drain water onto your Nikes. Self-discovery leads to a trip to Lowe's, where you buy new tubes and then hook them up. Currently, I am running my first load.
I won't bore you with the details of what channel lock pliers are, how to lift with your legs, and which friend to select.

For a completely different topic, here are a few random thoughts.

I think we should go back to hanging pirates. I wonder what a sect of militant gays looks like. The government is a mess. ( I watched CSPAN yesterday and they were discussing speculators getting home loans with no intent of repaying them.) If you give a mouse a cookie, or billions of dollars, they are going to ask for some milk. Last, did the druids invent the snuggie, a fleece blanket with sleeves? Fun for the whole family!

5 comments:

the Turtle said...

I know exactly what you mean about the sense of accomplishment. In my first two weeks in my new house I spent several hours one Saturday replacing an entire toilet tank and all its associated parts. It didn'te require additional trips to Home Depot but did require an hour break and a few beers. Must be because I'm and engineer. On a side note you cannot call yourself a man unless you know what channel lock pliers are.

Larry said...

I know what channel lock pliers are. I was informing others that they are such things.

the Turtle said...

I know that you know that. I was simply stating that for the benefit of everyone else. Sorry for the confusion.

Larry said...

Actually, I didn't know the official name, but then I realized how much since it made after I was tongue-lashed by my moving partner.

Anonymous said...

so, did you find the washer and dryer on the side of the road? Because I have been in the laudromat for WAY too long. If you find another one, send it my way.